Monday, July 16, 2012

Orientation

Okay, whew. The pressure of choosing a college is done. Now it's time to move on to actually going to your college. I actually went to my own orientation three weeks ago, so the experience is pretty fresh in my mind. Let me start off by talking directly to the girls (and possibly some guys, I don't judge). If you're going to a large college with a large campus, or if your orientation is scheduled for a day that is supposed to be ridiculously hot, pack light and wear shorts. My orientation was a two day ordeal, and dragging all of my crap over to the residence hall was exhausting. Not to mention I was in a dress, and you know what happens when you are hot and sweaty and exhausted and your legs are rubbing together in a dress. I was not a happy camper. At the very least, wear leggings. Please, for my sake.
Okay, glad that's over. Now for some general advice. Take a backpack. Number one thing I was grateful for. They gave us a bunch of papers and free t-shirts and information with no place to put everything and little opportunity to return to the room to dump it all in our suitcases.
Next, if you're staying overnight like I did, don't think you need your own pillow if they provide one for you. It was one more thing I had to lug around, and after walking around campus for approximately nine hours straight, I could have slept on the sidewalk, taking my chances with the rapists and the muggers. You won't care if your head is on your favorite pillow.
Be friendly!!! I'm sharing my dorm room with three other people. Two of those girls met each other at orientation. You could meet your future roommate, best friend, spouse, or enemy at orientation. But it's hard to make a good first impression if you're being shy or being grumpy. So be nice and get to know people!
Learn something. After all, that's why you're at orientation. Pay attention to the speakers, but be prepared to accept the fact that you won't absorb everything. The staff at orientation will be the first to admit that they're throwing a lot of information at you, but usually if they cover any important information, they'll give you a handout with everything you need to remember. Don't worry, if you pay attention, you'll be fine. Also, be prepared to schedule your classes at orientation.
Have fun! Yes, you're there to become familiar with the campus, meet people, and learn things. But you won't accomplish any of this if you don't just let go and have fun :)

Overall, go to orientation, have some fun, meet some people :)

No comments:

Post a Comment